Tips for a Young PastorNovember 20, 2008
Even though I am headed to Africa for the next few years, I feel called to be a Senior Pastor one day. In my free time, I have been reading books on leadership and pastoring. I am also reading a ton of blogs and listening to podcasts on those subjects as well. I came across a blog by Craig Groeschel, pastor of LifeChurch.tv. He shares 40 leadership tips for young pastors. I am going to share some of my favorites.
- Life is short. Make every day count for God’s glory.
- God called you because He is good, not because you are.
- If you blame yourself for bad results in ministry, you’ll likely also take credit for the good results.
- Err on the side of generosity.
- Hire staff members that you like.
- Don’t just delegate responsibility, delegate authority.
- Talk about Jesus every time you preach.
- Always be caught speaking well of others.
- Love your wife more than you love the church.
- Don’t return emails angry.
- When you suffer and hurt because of ministry, worship Jesus all the more.
- Believe in people that others overlook.
- If you’re going to reach people that others aren’t, you’ll have to do things that others won’t.
and my favorite one
- Laugh frequently.