Jesus ServantAugust 12, 2008
I had the awesome opportunity to preach at my church yesterday. Here are some of my key points. It was all about following Jesus’ example of being a servant.
- Jesus left what was comfortable to Him. He wants us to do the same. (Phil 2)
- We serve because we are not our own. We were bought with a price and now Jesus is in control of us. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
- Would you be willing to serve Jesus as much as your favorite celebrity who came to your house?
- We are supposed to serve expecting nothing in return. (Luke 14:1)
- Jesus demonstated being a servant by washing his disciples’ feet. The way that they serve him, he tells them, is by becoming the slaves of their fellow-servants and being willing to do literally anything, however costly, irksome, or undignified, in order to help them.
- True service is a life-style.
- Do something you think is beneath you.
- How are you leading others to serve? Asking others to do stuff for you is not ordering them around, but giving them the opportunity to be shaped by God.
What we do in life echoes in eternity!